How to Clean Leather Car Seats
Ah, leather. There’s nothing quite like it. Except for leatherette, of course. Today’s leather car seats and leatherette car seats are both a luxurious alternative to the velour seats of bygone days and a serious upgrade from most cloth upholstery. But leather is the prima donna of car seating choices. It’s highly decadent, but it requires more care. This makes some Evergreen shoppers worried about whether they should buy a car with leather, or how to care for the vehicle they just bought that has leather. Luckily, leather seat care is easier than you might think. Walt Massey Nissan has the details, alongside answers to all your service questions!
All About Leather Seat Care
The below steps actually embody the proper method of leather seat care. Learning how to clean leather car seats is just one part of the process! There’s also leather conditioning to consider, for instance!
Here’s How to Clean Leather Car Seats the First Time
- Vacuum the crevices of your seats to remove dust, dirt, and debris.
- Apply a pH-neutral cleaning solution to your leather seats, making sure to avoid getting any liquid cleaner into any perforations. You don’t want to use harsh chemicals or detergents.
- Use a microfiber cloth and soft-bristled brush to gently clean the leather upholstery.
- After your seats are clean, apply an approved leather conditioner to your seats; check your Owner’s manual for tips and advice. When applying, gently work in the conditioner using a clean microfiber cloth. Let it dry and then buff it out with another clean microfiber cloth. Why use this product? Using a leather conditioner will help keep your seats supple and avoid cracking over time. What hand cream is to hands, leather conditioner is to leather.
What Cleaning Products Should Be Used?
Warm water with a little dot of soap or, better yet, a specialty leather cleaner, can be used to wipe down the seats. Check your owner’s manual for recommendations. No matter which cleaner you choose, there are a few things you want to avoid using on your seats, including:
- Sharp objects that may scratch
- Household cleaners like strong solvent-based all-purpose cleaners
- Dark cloths
- Furniture polish
Additional Leather Care Tips
- If you have access to a garage, use that to store your vehicle as much as possible. Avoiding extreme temperatures can help preserve the life of your leather.
- Keep a travel bottle of leather cleaning solution and clean microfiber cloths on hand in your vehicle. This will help you keep your seats clean of dust, spills, and debris while on the go around Evergreen.
- When out running errands in Crestview or running errands in Enterprise, be on the lookout for shaded parking spots. Parking in the shade can prevent sun bleaching and damage.
Want to Know More About Cleaning Leather Car Seats?
Ready for top-notch car care and DIY tips in Andalusia? The Walt Massey Nissan service center is here to help meet your needs! Call 334-222-4171 if you have questions for us or schedule service online now!
More from Walt Massey Nissan